When I think of Christmas time I think of cold weather, lots of baked goodies, and Peppermint Mochas! I am a HUGE fan of mint flavored anything. I love mint chocolate chip ice cream, thin mints, Andes mints, (basically all things mint and chocolate) and Peppermint Mochas of course! Today was extra chilly in my end of the woods, though some might laugh at my version of "chilly", I felt it was only fitting that I make Peppermint Mocha Brownies!
These perfectly moist, tender brownies pack a powerful punch of mocha flavor and the right amount of peppermint. Lather some cream cheese frosting on top, or sprinkle with powdered sugar, or just leave them plain! Be forewarned, they are dangerously delicious.
Peppermint Mocha Brownies Recipe:
1 stick (1/2 cup) of melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 tea. vanilla
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tea. salt
1/2 tea. baking powder
1 Starbucks Via Peppermint Mocha packet
**You can opt out of the peppermint mocha and just add 1/2 tea. Peppermint Extract instead
1/4 cup hot water
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Spray an 8x8 pan with cooking spray
3. In a medium bowl combine melted butter, sugar and eggs
4. Add vanilla
5. In a separate medium bowl, combine cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder
6. In a small bowl combine Starbucks Via packet with hot water to activate it, and stir.
7. Add coffee mixture to the wet mixture and combine.
8. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until completely incorporated.
9. Pour brownie batter into the pan, and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
10. Let cool completely before frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting
This makes enough cream cheese frosting to generously frost the brownies.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe:
1/3 cup cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup (half a stick) butter, room temperature
1 tea. vanilla
2 pinches of salt
4-5 cups powdered sugar
2 Tb. milk
**If you want your frosting minty too, add 1/4 tea. of peppermint extract
1. Whip together cream cheese and butter for 2 minutes, until smooth and fluffy
2. Add vanilla and salt
3. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition
4. Add milk 1 Tb. at a time, to thin out the frosting.
5. Whip for another 30 seconds after you've finished adding everything
6. Spread onto brownies and enjoy!