Reindeer Chow a.k.a. Puppy Chow
I've seen this stuff called so many names. Muddy Buddies, Puppy Chow, Reindeer Chow (for Christmas time) and Sweet Minglers. I like to refer to it as Reindeer Chow. You're probably familiar with some variation of it. If you're not, you should be!
The main two variations I have seen are differences in the coating. Your basic ingredients are the same (Chex cereal, M&M's, pretzels, etc.) but you go with either 1.) melted white chocolate or 2.) melted peanut butter, then coated in powdered sugar. While both ways sound delicious, why not have both? I decided to go with option 2, and add in white chocolate chips to the mix. This way I don't have to miss out on either flavors!
I also like to melt chocolate with the peanut butter to make for an even better mix! Who doesn't love chocolate and peanut butter? This stuff is so good! Make it for a snack while watching a movie, bring it to a party, give it as a gift! Just be careful that you don't eat it all before you serve it. I had to walk away from the huge bowl I just made because I couldn't keep my hands out of it.
Reindeer Chow Ingredients:
Makes about 12 cups
5 cups rice Chex cereal
1 cup Chocolate M&M's
1 cup Peanut Butter M&M's
1 cup white chocolate chips
2 cups pretzel sticks
1 cup Peanut Butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips or melting chocolate
3 cups powdered sugar
Reindeer Chow Directions:
1. In an extra large bowl, combine chex, white chocolate chips, and pretzel sticks. (save the M&M's for last, so their colors can be seen)
2. In a microwave safe bowl, melt peanut butter and chocolate chips in the microwave, for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each time, until smooth.
3. Pour melted peanut butter chocolate mixture over the chex mixture, and stir gently. Try not to crush the cereal.
4. In a large paper grocery bag, pour the powdered sugar inside, then pour in the chex mixture.
5. Fold the bag to close it, and hold tightly as you shake the bag around. Check every couple of shakes to make sure the chex mix is getting coated. Add more powdered sugar if needed.
6. Pour back into your large bowl, and add M&M's, and stir.
7. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving, to let the peanut butter dry and the powdered sugar to settle.